It’s the middle of July, and you know what that means—summer vacation!
Millions of folks are packing up their cars this summer with only the sun, the sand and relaxation on their minds. But before you set sail for your summer trip, review our checklist to make sure your vehicle is travel-ready.
- Check your tire pressure and tread. Low tire pressure can mean higher gas mileage, and too high of pressure can cause a flat tire, or worse, a blowout.
- Top off your fluids. Be sure to check your windshield wiper fluid, transmission fluid and coolant before hitting the road. Taking these few steps can save you a big hassle and a big chunk of change in the long run.
- Clean your windows. It might seem like a silly item on the checklist, but visibility is key to safety when traveling. Take a few minutes to wash your windows—a nighttime glare on your windshield can make seeing a very difficult task.
- Get an oil change. Depending on what your Ford vehicle manual portrays, it is a good idea to change your oil every 3,000-7,000 miles. Changing your oil on a regular basis will keep your car running smooth.
- Have your brakes checked. Be sure to have a technician look over your brakes before you begin your journey—safety first!
- Check your belts and suspension. Make sure that your vehicle is road-ready by checking all of your belts and your suspension. A broken belt can leave you stranded, and that’s no way to start a vacation!
- Replace your windshield wiper blades. Don’t let a streaky windshield or heavy rain slow you down—make sure your windshield wiper blades are up-to-par.
- Check your lights. It’s always a good idea to do a walk-around of your car prior to leaving for your destination. Have someone sit in the car and turn on and off all of the lights (including turn signals) to ensure all lightbulbs are working correctly.
- Run an air conditioning test. Hot temperatures can make riding in a car without air conditioning nothing short of miserable. Have a technician make sure your AC is running nice and cool!
- Conduct a transmission check. Transmission failure can be a long and very expensive ordeal. Preventative maintenance and checking your transmission functionality before your trip could save you a ton of time, and money!
If you’re planning a summer road trip and need some help with conducting your road trip checklist, make an appointment with Waldorf Ford’s Service Department. Our technicians are ready and waiting to help you get your vehicle road-ready!